Handmade Wan Tan (Wonton) dough and its soup! 手作りワンタン!

Don't I have it? then make it yourself. "Make what I don't have"-This is getting like my motto these days. Since I moved to Germany, I've noticed there are so many food I can't get which I didn't even care when I was in Japan and this has made me miss the food even more. It's strange that once you know it's hard to get, it makes you want it which you didn't care before.
So this time I made Wan-tan (Wonton) and its soup. Do you know it? Do you like it?
What was surprising is handmade wantan is very CHEWY. You can't compare it to ones grocery store has. And what's the most important is, damn ass CHEAP. sorry. and you can eat as much as you want, though you gotta make a lot of course. and I did it. and ate it.
John likes (rather say loves it?) Wan tan soup which my mom used to make and he requested me to make it. I said "But they don't have wan tan wraps!" and I ended up making it by myself , which was fun! You know, he loved mine ;)....

For ingredients, I used hamburg-steak dough which I made before and froze and defrost it. About 100g per 15 wraps. Ingredients & directions are here:

About 15 wraps (I made it twice more and freeze the half rest of it)

  • 30g All-purpose flour (薄力粉)
  • 20g Bread flour (強力粉)
  • 1 pinch of salt (塩 少々)
  • 3~5 Tablespoon Warm water (お湯 大さじ3~大さじ5)
  • Cornstarch for dusting (打ち粉用にコーンスターチ又は片栗粉。)
Filling:
  • 100g ground meat (beef, pork, whatever) (ひき肉)
  • 10 cm (4 inch) green onion (万能ネギ)
  • 1 teaspoon ginger, minced (生姜)
  • 2 teaspoon soy sauce (醤油小さじ2)
  • Salt & pepper to taste (塩こしょう)
  • 1 teaspoon sesame  oil (ごま油) I used olive oil. I didn't have it. I couldn't make that.
Direction....



1: In a medium bowl, mix both flours, salt, and 3~4 table spoon warm water with chopsticks. Make it into a dough. Mix very well. Add 1 or 2 more table spoon warm water if still too powderish. But kneading without extra water solves this problem. See how soft this dough is before adding more.
材料を全てボールに入れてお湯を入れて箸で混ぜる。一塊になるようにしっかりと捏ねる。生地作りのお湯は大さじ3~調整する。少しパサパサしててもしっかり捏ねれば大丈夫。


2: Let it rest for 30 min in which is warm enough. I put the bowl on the small pot where the hot water was in.

捏ねあがったらラップをして温かい所に30分放置。


3: Split the dough and spread it out over where cornstarch is resting. And cut them as your image of Wan tan. I don't know exact how small is. 
生地を分割して餃子の皮を作るように打ち粉をして薄く延ばす。形は気にしない。薄くなったら正方形に切る。



It should look like this. Very thin sheets are here. こうなる。


They came out like that. Beautifuuuulll! 

filling part.
1: Mix ground meat, ginger, soy sauce, green onion, and oil in a small bowl. Salt & pepper to taste. Don't taste it now. Again, mix well.
具の材料を混ぜる。
2: Take a teaspoon of filling on the wrap and bring one corner to the other corner: fold it at the half of the wrap. If the wrap doesn't stick well, draw the edge with watered-finger (picture down below) and then close it.
小さじ一杯分の具を皮に乗せて、ふちを軽く水で濡らしてくっつける。
like that. take that.
You're done.
Season your soup as your favorite flavor. Or fry it :) filling fruits? 

Enjoy it!

xoxo
M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Across Borders: Navigating Trials and Triumphs on the Road to Marriage

On the 23rd of March 2024, I stood beside the love of my life, surrounded by friends and family, as we exchanged vows and embarked on a new ...